More Details on the Three Workshop Streams
Self-Discovery through Authentic Relating
- 'Authentic Relating' is the name for a broad field of explorations in how to evolve beyond the significant cultural conditioning we adopt to protect ourselves so thoroughly that genuine deep communication is actually (sadly) something of a rarity.
- It is entirely possible to learn how to be more real, vulnerable, powerful, and deeply feeling in your communications with others.
- These events are good doorways for beginners, and also excellent ongoing experiences for folk exploring Conscious/Authentic Relating and/or Tantra as ongoing self-development.
- 'Masks & Mirrors' is our main event in this stream, and offers a range of amazing exercises from such fields as the Meisner Technique, Transformational Therapy, and the Authentic Relating (rather than physically intimate) edges of Tantra. (Amongst other sources.)
- None of the practices are about being 'heady'. Rather they are experiential opportunities to open new conscious skills in reflection and engagement with others.
- We offer slow and curious explorations as the proven most effective way to go on deep journeys with this work (as opposed to throwing people into full-on spaces that tend to blow-out boundaries and make true learning difficult).
Exploring Contemporary Tantra
- 'Contemporary-' or 'Neo-' Tantra is the common title for the 'Western' take on Tantra.
- Almost all 'Tantra' you see advertised is actually Tantric-influenced humanistic personal development. That's not a bad thing. Many such offerings are potent and useful opportunities that assist people to become more self-aware and expressed as individuals. We call what we offer 'Contemporary Tantra' in order to clearly differentiate it from Classical Indian Tantra (which is an immensely complex and ancient spiritual discipline that happens to include teachings on sexuality as one of its many aspects.)
- 'Exploring Contemporary Tantra' is our main event in this category, and various others are also run sporadically. (Such as 'Seven Tantric Shadows'.)
- These workshops differ from the Authentic Relating events in that they are more focused on Human Intimacy as a valid path of sharing self-development activities. Offering conscious, clear and well-boundaried opportunities to share space and feedback with others.
- These events are also facilitated around the group's experience-level, so will shift in tone and form depending on the unique group of individuals who attend each time.
- We run most of these workshops in a broadly hetero frame, so they suit Hetero. & Bi. individuals best. (We do not believe in hetero-normativity, And Tantra does not require participants to be hetero or even in male-bodied/female-bodied connection. However, we do believe in the value of presenting focused events for specific styles of being. And since our life journeys are hetero that's what we know, and that's what we teach.)
Creative Expression & Interaction
- People have various ideas about Improv and Theatresports. Most specifically that they are terrifying and require incredible amounts of skill and artistic spontaneity. It doesn't have to be that way in order to be heaps of fun, plus how we run events is a lovely self-development opportunity in developing social and creative confidence.
- 'Improv Games' is our main event in this style. It emerged from trainings in Improvised Expression and Psychodrama with Al Wunder, Hilde Knottenbelt and Bernie Neville. Plus from studies throughout a Grad Dip in Expressive Arts Therapies, and more recently training with Meisner Melbourne. (It has been a delight of Spiral Events to teach Improv to some of the advanced Meisner students.)
- It is subtitled '100% Beginner Friendly' because we offer low-complexity games and practices that allow people maximum creative opportunities with minimal performance pressure. No lines to learn, and a 'coaching environment' which means it's fine to try things out, not have them work, and go again.
- Conscious Speed Dating also sprang from this side of things. It was a blend of the 'Connections' Improv/Tantra event that ran for several years, and Spiritual Speed Dating that was running in Melbourne at the time. (We co-created CSDating with one of the co-founders of SSDating - Kimberley Roberts) Conscious Speed Dating - being a dating event & workshop combination - has its own website, but is nonetheless a Spiral Events production.