The 'Seven Tantric Shadows' event FAQ page
WHY A WOMEN'S WORKSHOP?
- Some women have expressed that they feel safer to explore these edges with other women first, before engaging more intimately with men. Others simply enjoy engaging in such spaces with women (as a preference or as well as connections with men).
- Women holding space for each other at these events energetically create a very potent and unique energy that is not present in the same way at the M/F events. The only way we can describe this simply is a feeling of ‘shamanic sisterhood’.
WHY A M/F FACILITATION PAIR?
Women can hold space for men, and men can hold space for women. Each brings something different. Which dynamic/s appeal is a purely personal choice and preference.
- Arven has facilitated Shadow Tantra privately since 2009. He has worked with dozens of different women, often in a series of unfolding sessions. These days most private spaces are with participants recommended by women he has shared with previously. He originally began running private shadow workshops for women at the request of female practice partners, and more recently opened them up to any women who are interested. His formal background most related to this event is in Neo-Tantra, Shamanic Tantra and Transpersonal Psychology. He is also an Urban Tantra graduate.
- The female co-space-holder varies each time, depending on who is available.
WHAT SORTS OF PRACTICES ARE INVOLVED?
- The evening starts with authentic communication exercises and simple resonance work from Neo-Tantra, to set up a safe and organic group space;
- After that it is split into sections where we discuss, explore simple representative exercises, and debrief each of the Seven primary Tantric shadows in pairs and groups (the powerful witness/expression dynamic allows us to assist/deepen each other’s embodied learnings).
- This is not a Shadow Tantra (Tantric BDSM) workshop. However, simple foundational exercises from this field help us consciously reveal/explore our archetypal aspects, and take a look at some of our fears, challenges and strengths. (Plus towards the end of the event we explore some very simple exercises involving power-play, and might look at some of the most basic BDSM toys as props in learning a little more about fears and desires.)
WHAT ARE THE SEVEN TANTRIC SHADOWS?
Now that would be telling. It took a lot of time and effort, based on formal study of both Tantra and Transpersonal Psychology to distil these key aspects. As a taster we can let you know that one of them is ‘Selfishness’ and in this workshop we show you how this part of you can be both an incredible gift to offer someone and a pathway to personal healing and really getting in touch with your inner Goddess.
HOW INTIMATE IS THIS EVENT?
- This is a clearly facilitated workshop, not a play party. There are no free-form spaces.
- Emphasis and training around strong personal boundaries are crucial in any erotic/sexuality-related self-development. (Our culture is shocking for its poor grasp of the importance of such considerations.)
- Each practice is an opportunity to notice the subtleties and personal revelations, not an expectation to do anything at all that doesn’t feel interesting and comfortable. Nonetheless this is a workshop about the erotic self, and previous events have shown that things like fun, connection, charge and simple pleasure can flow to varying degrees.
- 10-18 people, so as to keep the group small and richly flowing.
- No nudity or direct sexual contact takes place, and no exercises are compulsory.